- Stars of the Great Karoo
- Prehistoric fossils at the heart of the semi-desert
- The “Big 5” and the infinite vastness of the Karoo
- Donkey cart tour and dramatic sunsets
- The Swartberg Pass and the famous Cango Caves
- Local ostrich farm and much more!
Day 1: Stars Of The Great Karoo
Our trip departs from Cape Town. We will be driving over three spectacular mountain passes to a private game reserve where we will enjoy a game drive to spot the “Big 5”. After lunch we continue to Sutherland, the “stargazing capital” of South Africa, where we will have the opportunity to gaze at the stars through a professional telescope. 326 km / L, D
Day 2: The Heart Of The Karoo
SALT (Southern African Large Telescope), the biggest optical telescope in the southern hemisphere, is our first destination the following morning. From there we continue, via Fraserburg, to Beaufort West. In the afternoon we tour through the Karoo National Park nestled at the foot of the Nuweveld Mountains, which rise up to 5,900 ft. The beautiful landscapes afford amazing photographic potential and, with a bit of luck, we will spot black rhinos, lions, mountain zebras and the rare black eagle. A short walk along the fossil trail brings us past the remains of long extinct creatures that used to roam here about 250 million years ago. Their bones are quite well preserved and are a true highlight of the semi-desert. That evening, an unforgettable donkey cart ride and a traditional South-African bush braai awaits us (weather permitting). 297 km / B, D
Day 3: The Taste Of The Karoo
After a hearty breakfast, we visit the Christiaan Barnard Museum which provides interesting information about the colourful life of South Africa’s world famous heart surgeon. His birth place and family home, as well as his tomb next to the museum, are included in our tour. We continue to Prince Albert, a quaint little town at the foot of the Swartberg Range. The quiet beauty of the vast Karoo and the impressive rock formations on the way to this picturesque little village will be memorable. In town, we endulge in an olive and cheese tasting as well as a wine tasting at South Africa’s “smallest winery”, famous for its dessert wine. 164 km / B, D
Day 4: Highlights of the Little Karoo
Today, we will reach one of the highlights of the Karoo, the spectacular Swartberg Pass. The 27 km gravel road, and the pass at 5,145 ft, is among the most beautiful mountain passes in the world. It was declared a National Monument in South Africa, while the Swartberg Range forms part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. In Oudtshoorn, already in the Little Karoo, a tour through the world famous Cango Caves, one of the world’s most impressive cave systems, awaits us. In the town of the former Feather Barons, we then visit one of the typical local ostrich farms and learn more about the animals, their history and their economic importance for the region. In the afternoon, we drive westwards on the famous Route 62. Through picturesque Karoo towns and along beautiful winding mountain roads as we continue on to Cape Town, crossing Sir Lowry’s Pass in the early evening. In Cape Town, this memorable trip to the Karoo will then come to an end. 509 km / B
Prices and Tour Dates
Tour Price: on request
Tour Dates: on request
* Price valid for a group size of 4 to 8 people.
* Cut-off date for the minimum size of participants is 28 days before your departure date. We will inform you accordingly (see T&Cs).
* Price does not cover general increases in travel cost and currency fluctuations.
* The tour programme may be subject to change.
Tour Price includes:
- A private, local, qualified English-speaking tourguide for the duration of the tour
- 3 overnight stays in handpicked accommodations (three to four stars)
- Meals as per tour description, excluding beverages (B = breakfast, L = lunch, D = dinner)
- Excursions and round-trip in modern, air-conditioned vehicle according to local standard
- All entrances, activities and conservation fees as per tour description
Tour Price does not include:
- Travel insurance
- Beverages, personal expenses, service tips